Instructions for Sleeping Mat
If you would like to crochet a plastic sleeping mat too, here are the instructions and pattern.
Materials: Plarn (plastic yarn) – (Instructions below) You will need approximately 500-700 bags.
Crochet Hook – Size P
Row 1: make a chain that is as wide as you desire your mat to be (Adults 4’x6′, Children 3’x5′).
Row 2: sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across.
Row 3: ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.
Repeat row 3, until the mat is 6 feet long, then finish off.
For a tie, crochet 2 rows of single loops to make an 80-nch string. Connect the tie to the middle top. This allows the mat to be rolled up for transporting.
Directions for Plarn (Plastic Yarn)
- Lay recycled bag out flat
- Fold in half lengthwise then fold in half again
- Cut off top handles
- Cut bag in strips about 1 inch wide or as desired
- Discard the end of the bag where bottom edge
Tying Strips Together:
- Pickup two plastic bag rings
- Loop one end through the other
- Loop end of the second ring through itself, pull until tight
- Continue connecting strips until you have a large ball of plarn.
Tips: Pull ends evenly to create a smooth flat strip
If a strip doesn’t lie flat between knots, you didn’t pull evenly which creates a bunched strip. Just make sure strip is even before pulling your knot tight between the connected strips.
To fix a bunched strip, loosen the knot between the strips, then pull on the ends again to make your strip flat and smooth.